Jacob Potter wrote:

For reference, the last revision of the SLIMP3 firmware was 2.3,
released Feb. 2004. This was a few months after the Squeezebox1; it
fixed some network driver issues, but did not add any new features.

I think it's pretty safe to say that _feature_ development for the squeezebox 1 firmware was frozen the day they started working on the SB2 hardware (probably some time in fall of 2004, I'd guess). Support, ie: bug fixing, is obviously still ongoing, as Jacob points out it still is even for the venerable slimp3 hardware.

You really shouldn't ever buy hardware based on the promises (or in this case, hints of possibilities) of future new features being added in a firmware upgrade. If the hardware doesn't do what you want it to, don't buy it until it does. If you were happy with the hardware when you bought it, why aren't you happy still?

The fact that the zlimserver software is open source, and thus can still be developed by third parties to add cool new features even if Slim Devices falls into the Pacific in the next big quake, is rather orthogonal to ongoing firmware feature development.

- Marc