> If I have volume set at full on the SB3 will the sound quality degrade.
> I'm not an audiophile - but I think we've all noticed that when you
> crank the volume on source devices that use plain 'ol RCA jacks that
> you can sometimes get some distortion in the signal. Not sure if that
> same principal holds for optical/digital or not.

The principal does *not* hold.  In fact, to the contrary, you will get the
*best* sound quality from a digital connection like this when the source is
at full volume.  This is because with a digital signal there is a discrete
amount of dynamic resolution, and when you lower the volume you also lower
the amount of resolution.  So quiet passages can be lost entirely, and other
elements can lose fidelity.  The reason analog audio can sound bad when
driven into inputs at high levels is because the voltages supplied can
literally overload the preamps and cause clipping.  This is not an issue
with digital audio as the digital signal voltages do not change based upon
the volume level of the digital signal (just ones and zeros).  The analog
preamp stages in a digital processor come after the digital decoding is done
and any DAC will be matched to its accompanying preamp and calibrated in
such a way as to not overdrive the preamp stage.