I, too, use a dedicated server. In my case it's a purchased FitPC3,
still running Win7 in our basement mechanical room. More expensive than
a Pi solution, but rock solid. Runs 24/7, rescans the library for
new/changed files every night. It's connected directly to my router. I
use an external 1tb conventional 3.5" hard drive for music storage only
(LMS runs on the SSD in the FitPC3). The external drive is almost out of
room, and I'll probably get a 2tb drive in the near future. Probably a
2.5" conventional, since those seem to be the pricing sweet spot these
days. I use an older Thermaltake BlacX dock, which supports either 3.5"
or 2.5" on a USB2 port; the drives can be removed/swapped out, they just
plug into the dock. I use a newer/faster BlacX doc upstairs for backups,
on a USB3 port.

R.

LMS on a dedicated server (FitPC3)
Transporter (Ethernet) - main listening, Onkyo receiver, Paradigm
speakers
Touch (WiFi) - home theater 5.1, Sony receiver, Energy speakers
Boom 1 (WiFi) - work-space
Boom 2 (WiFi) - various (deck, garage, etc.)
Radio (WiFi) - home office
Control - Squeeze Control (Android mobile), 2 Controllers (seldom used),
Squeeze Remote (on Surface Pro 4)
Touch x 1 - spare
UE Radio x 1 - spare
Boom x 1 - spare