There would be a few criteria ...
- price (I suspect TuneIn is free to SlimDevices/Logitech) but other
such as Reciva (old name), Tunein (the other one) and a small number of
others ... are not free for official integration)

- coverage

- extra functionality (logos, Now Playing cover art, podcasts)

- available API (much better than parson HTML that is subject to change
at the whim of a web developer)

- available code

All of this leads me to think that the bpa implementation of radio.net
is a great starting point. I don't think it addresses all of the points
above but it is a good start and others can be worked around to some
degree via other plugins

Plus ... from the radio.net FAQ
"Some years ago, an integration for Logitech Squeezebox existed which,
unfortunately, cannot be supported anymore."
which implies to me that they would not be against such support coming
back (Sonos has official integration).

Paul Webster
http://dabdig.blogspot.com
author of \"now playing\" plugins covering radio france (fip etc), kcrw,
supla finland, abc australia, cbc/radio-canada and rte ireland