did a bit of digging and found this :

ln
A feature of linking files is available in Linux. It works by
"redirecting" a file to the actual file. It's referred to as a symbolic
link. Don't confuse this term with the linking of programs, which is
when binary programs are connected with libraries that they need to
load in order to run.

The most simple way that I've ever used ln to create symbolic links is
ln -s existing_file link. Evidently there's a hard link and a symbolic
link; I've been using a symbolic link all along. You can also use the
-f flag to force the command line to overwrite anything that might have
the symbolic link's file name already.

To remove a symbolic link, simply type rm symbolic_link. It won't
remove the file that it's linked to.

Patrick, symlinks are for linking libraries in make files for compiling
apparently.

Neil, I read LN as IN at first, but found it eventually.

Thanks guys!

--
firestorm