Has anyone successfully used the IR input socket on a Transporter?

There's a thread from 2015 where sebp had the same problem.
https://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?102915-How-to-use-the-Transporter-IR-input-jack

I have moved my Transporter into a cupboard, and use the great Material
skin to control when listening to music. I also use the transporter to
play the TV sound via sp/dif and it makes more sense to use a remote to
control the volume

The Transporter manual says the connection should use a 3.5mm mono jack.
I couldnt find anything like this to buy, so I tried one with a stereo
jack, just to see if it would work.
https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01MY4FC10
It doesn't, so fortunately only £6 wasted.

Any suggestions??

Thanks
Nigel