garym wrote:
> The SB3 squeezebox is an "endpoint/Player" and is connected to the
> inputs of your stereo, or the inputs of a DAC (which is connected to
> your stereo).  The rPi is a headless microcomputer, the size of a deck
> of cards, that runs LMS, the music server that will feed your own music
> files to the SB3 player, over your internal network, either via ethernet
> or WIFI. The rPi will access your local music, by either attaching a USB
> drive containing your music to the rPi, or mapping a NAS on your
> network, if you store your files on a local NAS.    Once setup, you can
> control playback on the SB3 using the remote that came with the SB3,
> using a web browser on any computer connected to your network, or using
> various apps available for smart phones and tablets.
>
> Note: you can use any computer you have to run LMS instead of the rPi
> mentioned above. If you're just experimenting, install LMS on your
> computer from here, setup the SB3, and have a go. I'd go with 8.0. It's
> beta but works well.
> http://downloads.slimdevices.com/nightly/?ver=8.0
>
> All in all, it's an amazing music ecosystem!
>
> EDIT:  and in addition to playing your own music files, you can stream
> internet radio, play services like Spotify, Pandora, Tidal, etc.  Also
> podcasts.

Just as an aside (I haven't read the rest of the thread), I thought this
was an excellent positioning overview of the situation. The only thing
I'd add is that Win7 works perfectly well as a foundation for LMS on a
dedicated server, and I believe Win10 does as well. I have a legacy Win7
system on a dedicated server, and haven't seen any reason to change.
Although I am going to experiment with a Pi-based system.

R.

LMS on a dedicated server (FitPC3)
Transporter (Ethernet) - main listening, Onkyo receiver, Paradigm
speakers
Touch (WiFi) - home theater 5.1, Sony receiver, Energy speakers
Boom 1 (WiFi) - work-space
Boom 2 (WiFi) - various (deck, garage, etc.)
Radio (WiFi) - home office
Control - Squeeze Control (Android mobile), 2 Controllers (seldom used),
Squeeze Remote (on Surface Pro 4)
Touch x 1 - spare
UE Radio x 1 - spare
Boom x 1 - spare