Well, lastFM would probably quite like to sell you some music, but you
don't have to buy it!  I use it (via James' excellent plugin) a lot,
they do a good job of serving up music I (usually) want to listen to.

However, back to the question... I would guess that the audioscrobbler
plugin, which captures the data to send off to lastFM, wouldn't take
very much hacking to send the data to some local file instead... in
fact I think its already set up to cache data in a log file when the
link to lastFM is down, so it might be really easy.

Ceejay

--
ceejay