I've recently installed a Pi system with PiCorePlayer successfully,
although it wasnt' pain free. The plan has been to continue using my
Windows-based server for the time being if it could be upgraded from
Win7 to Win10. So after the pCp was up and running I proceeded to
upgrade my little FitPC3 (fanless, low power, limited RAM). The upgrade
installed, and I then proceeded to upgrade LMS to V8.1.2. It appeared to
install but just wouldn't work -- I'd open it to start, try to do
something and it would crash.

Then Windows proceeded to do at least one additional full upgrade, maybe
two, with reboots.

It appears that what happened is that I installed LMS in-between Windows
updates, apparently after an update had started installation but before
necessary re-boots had occurred. Aside from LMS not working, Windows
itself was very slow.

After all the Windows update stuff had completed, I uninstalled LMS
completely and reinstalled from scratch. Both LMS and Windows are now
working properly.

The issue seems to be that when you install Win10 from the remaining
"free-install" download site it installs an older version, and then
requires what amounts to a further full upgrade to current version. It's
not always clear that its not done upgrading.

I thought there was a fundamental problem with my FitPC and Win10, but
it turns out not to have been the case. All working fine now. I'll
probably shift over to the pCp sometime in the not distant future, but
it's good to know I have two different servers available.

LMS on a dedicated server (FitPC3)
Transporter (Ethernet) - main listening, Onkyo receiver, Paradigm
speakers
Touch (WiFi) - home theater 5.1, Sony receiver, Energy speakers
Boom 1 (WiFi) - work-space
Boom 2 (WiFi) - various (deck, garage, etc.)
Radio (WiFi) - home office
Control - Squeeze Control (Android mobile), 2 Controllers (seldom used),
Squeeze Remote (on Surface Pro 4)
Touch x 1 - spare
UE Radio x 1 - spare
Boom x 1 - spare