In the past I've made the mistake of assuming that more power equals
more gain.  I'm no expert, but my understanding is that although more
power would be needed to drive an amplifier that has more gain, for an
amplifier that has a certain gain, more power simply allows for less
distortion.  Too little power for an amplifier with a given gain will
lead to distortion.  So if you're hearing clean, undistorted sound but
at a low volume, I doubt that would be because of the power supply.  It
points more to the input signal being too low (which is what the output
caps thread is about).

I'm happy to be corrected by those with more knowledge.