alanj Wrote:

> I've now run a full from scratch scan again and nothing has appeared on
> the slim.exe console.....  however I still only have 581 albums listed.
> One of my newly ripped albums now appears in the list but not the
> others.
>
> I am guessing that I still have a corrupt file somewhere that is
> causing the scan to fail. But how on earth am I supposed to find it?
>
> I have 2 questions really.
> 1) How can I see what the scan is doing? Can it produce some sort of
> log?
> 2) Should a corrupt file really cause this sort of problem? Surely the
> software should be capable of a) reporting any errors it finds and b)
> skip any duff files and keep on scanning.

This sounds a bit similar to problems I had with 6.2.1. (See
"Soon-to-be-user ..." in the Beginners forum for the gory details.) In
my case, it looks like it was due to odd (non-unique) setting of the
URL tag in WMA files; this caused SlimServer to crash, and on restart
it listed fewer than all my tracks.  This doesn't sound quite like your
experience, since you don't say you have to restart SS after each scan.

I submitted a bug report, complete with logs and one of the dodgy
tracks; and the problem was fixed in the next nightly release of
6.2.2!

You can tell SS to generate a (permanent) log file by running it from
the command line with --logfile set:

"c:\program files\slimserver\slim.exe" --logfile "c:\program
files\slimserver\log.txt"

(exact paths will vary).  Then open the web controls, go to Server
Settings/Debugging and enable several of the items (I turned on
d_files, d_scan and d_sql).  Now do a rescan (or a full scan), and
inspect the logfile. If you spot something suspicious, copy it to
somewhere else. (You may need to stop SS first, though you could just
use copy/paste in a decent editor. Indeed, you'll probably want to
delete or move the logfile between each run - otherwise it'll be fiddly
to tell the separate tests apart.)

Warnings about missing files may be red herrings; I got a few of these
because of "stale" references in playlists, but these weren't the cause
of the problem (at least, not in my case).

-- Brian

--
Brian Ritchie