I just wanted to update this post and put a closure to it.  Not the
outcome that I was hoping for but alas Curious got back to me and their
assessment is that their cable is just incompatible with the RPi
platform.  I would hope that they will investigate this and add as a
disclosure on their FAQ page for future customers that may run into the
same issue or perhaps they will improve upon next versions of their
products if it makes business sense for them to do so.

I want to thank the folks that provided their input into helping me try
to resolve it.  This is a great forum with equally great members!

Cheers!