garym wrote:
> No shouting on this forum. My favorite forum for getting along with
> everyone!  Regarding transparency of different codecs, In the distant
> past, I did some ABX (double blind) tests of lossless vs various flavors
> of mp3 (320kbps down to 64kbps I recall).  I found most things
> transparent down to 192kbps (for most normal music). Certain known
> problem samples where one could focus on harpsichord, piano, etc. I
> could detect. Otherwise my choices turned out to be random guesses.  But
> getting lower than about 160kbps I could more often tell the lossless vs
> the lossy. But even at 128kbps, certain "rock/pop" music was not
> reliably different from lossless for me.  Below 128, I found it easier
> and easier, not unexpectedly.
>
> I rip all my CDs to FLAC, because why not.  I purchase hi-res files when
> that's all that's available, but not because I think they are better.  I
> hate the fact that the Neil Young download store only seems to offer
> 24/192. Just bought the new "Down in the Rust Bucket" album today, and
> would have gladly purchased 16/44.1 if it had been available.

Amen, btw.

...pablo
Server: Win10 and LMS 8.1.0
System: SB Touch --optical->- Benchmark DAC2HGC --AnalysisPlus Oval
Copper XLR->- NAD M22 Power Amp --AnalysisPlus Black Mesh Oval->- KEF
Reference 1
Other Rooms: 2x SB Boom; 1x SB Radio; 1x SB Classic-> NAD D7050 -> Totem
DreamCatcher + Velodyne Minivee Sub
Computer audio: workstation --USB->- audioengine D1 -> Grado RS1/Shure
1540