philippe_44 wrote:
> If I really want comply to the segmented volume curve, the balance ratio
> should be applied to the dB volume (0..100) and then the get_volume and
> dBToFixed applied individually (i.e. 5 means I apply 80% of the required
> (0..100) volume to Left and still 100% to Right). Now, I never paid too
> much attention to that domain of audio, but is a log balance the right
> thing to do? I though back in the old days of analogue, linear
> potentiometers were used because we want a finer sensitivity of the
> balance around the center.

This may be a minefield.  IIRC when developers were defining/modifiying
the curve - a lot of user feedback was that fine control at very low
volume was needed esp when listening at night/early morning typically in
bed.
When channels are not balanced then at some point in low volume one
channel will not be heard at all.  Users will have to accept that or
else you'll have a complicated solution.