I got one Echo 4 in our kitchen connected with a 3,5 to RCA cable to a
Pi zero WH (with HB Dac Zero+) running pCP. This connection was used
before we got Spotify Family. Music is stored on a NAS (and another Pi
runs also LMS).
Currently the preferred way is Spotify Connect with the Echo.

To use the line in at the Echo, you just have to go to the Settings for
the Echo and choose "line-in" under the Aux Audio option.
I'll use the Material Skin for instance and if I choose the Pi Zero as
the player the sound comes directly via the Echo.
On the other hand, if I stop the song and say "Alexa, play [bla bla]"
then Spotify will be used and outputs it through the Echo.

So pretty simple.

My only hiccup - and this has nothing to do with your questions - is
that I am not able yet to "drop in" to the other Echo 4 which is in my
daughter's room.
But this would be another thread I assume ;-)