It's a little unfair to suggest that the distribution channel is
inadequate because you cannot source what is now a superseded product.
It may be more reasonable to question why the SB3 was introduced so
quickly after the SB2, although the obvious answer would be to address
the common criticism that the SB1 and 2 looked like radio alarms and
out of place with the look of most A/V equipment. I'm not aware that
there are any significant issues with distribution of the current
product line other than that demand for black outpaced supply at
launch, but that's not really a distribution issue.

I've bought two SD products from what was at the time the current
product range and found no difficulty in sourcing them. I don't
anticipate any problem when I eventually succumb and buy an SB3. I
suspect I might be chapping though, if I decided I wanted an SB2 but
I'd probably find myself in a similar situation if I wanted to buy a
superseded Sony product too.

EDIT: The majority of the differences between the SB2 and SB3 are
cosmetic, but not all. The PSU has been redesigned and all antennae are
internal now. A function button (can't remember what now) has been added
to the remote control too. There might be more, but I don't recall right
now.

Are SD exploiting their most loyal customers? I doubt you'd get much
support for that statement around here. The new model launched a year
after the first and retails at the same launch price. That doesn't
strike me as exploitation.

--
Fifer