florca wrote:
> I never really got on with my Harmony remote. After struggling to get it
> working in the way I wanted I ended up buying some One-for-All (UIC)
> remotes which can be very flexibly re-programmed / hacked using a home
> made adaptor and "JP1" software. To be honest I've no idea whether you
> can still buy the (unofficially) programmable types - I bought several
> end-of-line One for All 5's at £15 / piece some years back, and although
> they tend to die after a few year's hard use (or children playing with
> the battery cover :mad:) my stock is still going, but the JP1
> programming site still seems to be alive and active.
>
> Although at first sight they're far less sophisticated (and far less
> expensive) than the Harmony range I've never found any IR device I
> couldn't control with a JP1-hacked OFA remote. Their only snag is a
> tendancy to run out of memory if you try to get too clever, but kept
> simple they work very well.

Yet another vote for JP1/One-For-All. I have found them to be very
durable -- models like 'the URC-8820'
(http://www.remotecentral.com/ureview/114.htm) that I've been using,
anyway. It takes years for the button text to start to wear off, and
even then the buttons keep working. I own one URC that still works fine
even though it got mangled by a foster dog who mistook it for a chew
toy.

I agree, the JP1 community still seems healthy. Just a few months ago I
needed to reporgram my main URC for a new DVD player. I dreaded the
prospect of having to reinstall and relearn the RemoteMaster and IR
applications, but found that the desktop repogramming software had been
improved and simplified. My old .ir remote config backups worked fine
and reprogramming was easier than before.

BTW, web searches in decent years revealed that apparently many US cable
TV companies are offering customers remote controls that are
JP1-capable, and those often sell for little on eBay.

We gave a Harmony to my aged father-in-law (first a 650, now a 655), as
it's much easier to use than the mess of remotes he ended up with after
the cable TV box was added to his kit even after the cable guy
programmed their universal remote. I love the "try to fix" option, and
the ability to switch the color screen soft buttons to "device" mode. So
much nicer than trying to remember where you remapped a specific orginal
button like Night Mode. Those Harmony remotes haven't held up as well --
after a couple years some of the buttons become unreliable. I had the
same problem with my personal Harmony remotes --even ones that saw
infrequent use!-- and always thought that Harmony would be truly great
if they could improve their hardware. (They reminded me a lot of 20th
century Sony gear -- good design, nice programming, but inadequate
quality on the switches and buttons.)

Still, yesterday I ordered a spare 655 as a backup for my father-in-law.
Thank you, Tony T, for posting!

Has anybody tried the 'Safabaton U1 universal remote'
(http://sofabaton.com/u1.html)?

owner of the stuff at https://tuxreborn.netlify.app/
(which used to reside at www.tux.org/~peterw/)
Note: The best way to reach me is email or PM, as I don't spend much
time on the forums.
*Free plugins:* AllQuiet Auto Dim/AutoDisplay BlankSaver ContextMenu
DenonSerial
FuzzyTime KidsPlay KitchenTimer PlayLog PowerCenter/BottleRocket
SaverSwitcher
SettingsManager SleepFade StatusFirst SyncOptions VolumeLock