Grumpy Bob wrote:
> Well I have a Windows 10 laptop provided by work while I'm working from
> home, and of course a Windows 10 desktop PC in my still unused office. I
> wouldn't choose to use Windows other than for work. But I think I read
> somewhere this issue of moving on from Windows 10 may mostly be to do
> with profitability of their Windows division, perhaps if there's a
> Windows 11 produced, it induces a round of PC purchases with a tithe of
> the price going to Microsoft?

Cloud services revenue is helping MS and Office 365 provides a year on
year stream as well but Windows Division need the "extended" warranty
revenue to support organisation who need Win10 support beyond the
support date. IIRC MS have only recently stopped this special support
for XP  (I remember seeing "crashed" ticket machines on local light-rail
service and it looked like XP)

> I don't think users would find an iPad a good replacement for a PC.
Not single users or small company but many organisation/SME are moving
away from PC based applications on desktops/laptops to tablets/iPads
(e.g. Excel spreadsheets moving to Salesforce).   Also tablets & cloud
application maybe more secure against ransomware.