Again, you people are terrific, Thanks so much for all your help.

After this morning's attempts I got in touch with the shop I bought the
Raspberry Pi from, PiShop.us. I'd hope to hear back from them soon.

This morning's attempt are summarized here:

Today I went over to the Walmart and bought another SD card and burned
pCP onto it using a Windows version of USBImager.  In other words, sort
of started over with a couple new players. No success.

So I plugged in a 4 GB SD card and burned Raspberry Lite OS onto it to
see if the RP would connect to my network with that installed rather
than pCP. No success.

I thought maybe I'm just not seeing RP in my list of connected devices
so I had my Internet provider take a look. No, it was not showing up.

And I made sure that the ethernet cable and socket were proven to work
(I pulled the cable out of the back of my functioning Roku and used it).

When I power up the Raspberry Pi a solid red LED comes on and a green
LED flashes intermittently, irregularly and then goes dark and stays
dark.

I will leave this in PiShop.us's Customer Support court for the rest of
the day. I still have a few ideas from you that I can and will try. But
want to hear from Customer Support first.

Onward!