Hi there,

I just hooked up my SliMP3 to a lab power supply and stepped down the
voltage from 5V. Guess what, below ~4.6V audio  drops out  but otherwise
the device works (receives IR commands, display working properly, shows
playing progress, etc.). So it seems the DAC is the first to quit when
the input voltage gets too low whereas the rest of the device keeps
working. Stepping the voltage back up leads to heavy distortions first
until it recovers at ~4.65V. And it takes just 0.45A at this voltage so
its power consumption is only a bit more than 2.1 Watts which I find
pretty amazing.
It is typical for switching power supplies that they fail to keep up the
specified voltage sooner or later, depending on the load. Mostly this is
due to dying filter capacitors in the secondary stage of the power
supply. This does not happen all at once but is a slow but steady
process so the effective voltage delivered will ramp down very slowly
over time. Yours might just be in a state where the voltage is
sufficient for everything except the DAC.
So the PSU - once again - would by my prime suspect here. They are dirt
cheap (unless you want something really well-made) so I would recommend
to replace it. It's very likely this brings your SliMP3 back to full
glory.

Cheers,
Joe

PN me if your Boom / Classic / Transporter display has issues!

Blog:
https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?rinli=1&pli=1&blogID=5053304027701850753#allposts