> I assume that the Squeezebox knows whether or not it successfully
> connects with the wireless network, including the authentication?
I think that's the wrong assumption. When you're looking at WEP/WPA
you're looking at encryption keys. The only way to know if you have a
correct key or not is to try and communicate and see if it works. The
DHCP exchange is that first communication, so it's probably then that
the failure is first noted. The "connecting to network" stage is simply
associating with the AP, which basically any client can do whether or
not it has the keys.

(Note: if someone who knows the handshake procedure in more detail
wants to correct me, please do!).

--
radish