> for mass adoption, our favourite music player HAS to work quickly and
> effortlessly out of the box

It's a good point and there is probably a lot of room for improvement there.
There are still lots of very geeky things about the interface, the software
probably makes too many assumptions about your knowledge of the system and
its paradigms, and (through no real fault of the device or its software)
people are likely to be further disoriented by music-scanning idiosyncracies
that are exacerbated by the rogue, non-standard world of music tagging (v1
tags, v2, v2.1, etc...).  That being said, I find the interface quite
usable, and it's interesting to me how many reviews I've read of the
squeezebox that specifically mention how *easy* the device was to set up.
In most of the comparisons I've read that's been a tick in the "pros" column
for the Squeezebox.  So I'm prone to want to say that this reviewer is an
anomaly who did a particularly poor job of familiarizing himself with the
device.