On 12/1/05, kkitts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi All,
> I have slimserver 6.1.1 working with both a SB3 and with various
> computers running SoftSqueeze on my local LAN. I'd like to set up
> SoftSqueeze at work to access my slimserver at home. I have set up my
> firewall/router to forward port 22 to my linux box which runs
> slimserver. I then used Putty on my machine at work to connect through
> my firewall/router to make sure that I was able to ssh in to my
> linux/slimserver box at home. All of this works.
>
> However, when I run SoftSqueeze on the computer at work (after typing
> in the IP of my WAN address listed in the router into the ssh section
> of prefs in SoftSqueeze) - it appears to take the username/password and
> start to connect - but then SoftSqueeze displays "Connection Failed.
> Please Check Server Settings". Can anyone provide any trouble-shooting
> hints, tips or techniques that might help? Also, is there any
> additional information that I could provide that would help one of you
> gain insight into what might be going on?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Kevin

Secondarily to dSw's comments about forwarding the ports, if you are
using a Windows box at work then you might want to try using the
excellent (and free) Tunnelier:
http://www.bitvise.com/tunnelier.html

This does the SSH client work for you, as well as making the
configuration easy.  Just make sure that it forwards 3483 and 9000
(and anything else you need).  Then configure SoftSqueeze to connect
to 127.0.0.1, and it should work.

Other setup tips for this:
* You can set up pass-through forwarding ("S2C") to allow other
clients on your work network to browse the slim web pages, stream,
etc.

* You can enter the .jar filename to execute automatically when
tunnelier connects successfully

Also, you might want to choose an arbitrary high port number in place
of 22, if you don't want people banging against it with scripts every
hour of the day.

Cheers
Geoff