I've decided I have to get my Squeezebox music in both my living room
and family room.

Right now my SB2 is in a great custom entertainment center
(http://www.customshoppefurniture.com/) with the home theatre receiver
(a Sony STR-DE845--it's not audiophile equipment but among the ones I
tested 4 years ago for under $500 sounded the best with music, and it
sounds great with DVDs) and Klipsch Quartet speakers with a KSW10
subwoofer (again, not audiophile stuff, but better than any other home
theatre speakers under $800 I tried for music).  The receiver has A/B
speaker outputs, but not a line out that could be fed to another amp.

My family room and living room are back-to-back (the family room is an
extension off the original house, and in fact has the back of the
living room fireplace in it) and I can get between them with a simple
wall penetration, and run about 15 feet of cable between the rooms.  I
the Living room I have an old Sony reciever, stereo only, and Polk R15
speakers (and also a second TV and DVD player for incidental use, but
no home theatre setup.)

I figure my options are:

1)  Buy an SB3 and put it in the living room, hooked up to the existing
receiver.  Probably the simplest option, but I'm not sure how the audio
quality would be with the old receive, and it's another $300.  Also my
primary application would be to have the same thing playing in the
living room and family room (I'll probably probably never have
independent listening) and even if players weren't precisely synched it
would be distracting.

2)  Use the B speaker outputs from the family room and run speaker wire
to the living room, and get a speaker switch in the living room (Niles
Audio makes an automatic switch for about $90.) to switch between the
family room receiver and living room receiver.  Cost $100 plus some
speaker wire.

3)  Hook my digital out from the SB2 to the family room receiver, and
run the line outs to the living room, into the old receiver.  This
would be easy as well, but probably wouldn't sound as good in the
family room, where I'm now using the analog outs assuming the SB2 DAC
is better than whatever's in the Sony (although the Sony is resampling
and processing it anyway, and doesn't have an analog only mode like
I've seen in some home theatre receivers in the same price range
nowadays.)

4)  Buy a new receiver for the family room with a line out, put the one
currently in there in the living room, and use line out cable to hook
the two together.  The new receiver would probably have an analog-only
mode for best audio quality from the SB2, and would provide the same
signal to my current receiver.  I'd be looking at stuff in the
$500-$1000 range.

Thoughts?  Anything else I haven't thought of?

--
mrfantasy

--Mike