So I've had a pair of new sb3's since Friday.  The idea is to replace
my very early slimp3. The hope is that 6.X will work well with the new
hardware (it has never worked well with my slimp3, so I have stayed on
5.4.1).

The sb3 has been playing almost constantly since Friday.  Today, I was
eating lunch with the sb3 playing at a low volume.. Suddenly, massive
ear splitting static from my hifi.  The sort that sends your lunch to
the floor while you make a frantic effort to mute the pre-amp. The
noise was traced to the analog rca outputs of the sb3.

The static occurred with every track I played..  I began a network
traffic capture and I placed an urgent call to slim support with the
hope of isolating this 'show stopper'.

Basically, support reported that this problem has been observed twice
before.  The Xilinix chip 'somehow' gets corrupted during a firmware
update, causing sample rate problems on the DAC.  I was asked to
re-program the chip (very simple, just a power cycle of the sb3 while
holding '1' on the remote).   That seems to have cleared the problem
for now.  Not sure why the problem did not occur sooner. The firmware
was upgraded when I first powered on the unit Friday.  Never had
anything like this happen during years of using a slimp3.  Perhaps
there should be more self-integrity checking?

I have been shopping for some new amps and plan on putting the other
sb3 into a new listening room.  I have been considering directly
attaching the sb3 to the amps. This experience reinforces what my gut
was saying all along, basically "Attaching a squeezebox directly to an
amp? Are you f'n nutz??!!".  Yeah, imagine a pair of 250 watt
monoblock tube amps sending max volume static and distortion to your
speakers..

Things were going quite well up until this point.  Unfortunately, I
cannot say that this was the smooth intro to the 'latest & greatest'
product versions that I was hoping for.  But, hey, the new case looks
really.. uh..  big.. and new..   Still haven't decided whether to send
them back during the eval period.

  FL