> As digital data is present on the server (for the most part) before
> being sent to the SB, what would be useful is a scanner that looks for
> digital noise in the input stream. This would help the overall signal
> chain quite a bit.

As per the OP, this isn't where the problem originated.  Instead,
(apparently) the DAC was in a funky state that resulted in noise from the
analog outs.  This is entirely independent of the stream being sent to the
SB3.

> However, what is really needed is what radio stations use which is
> essentially a real-time mastering engine. This includes compression,
> equalization, gating, peak limiting, etc. This is the only way to get
> quality sound from a wide variety of music. It requires a lot of grunt
> to run such a mastering engine. If the SB system were a bit more open,
> the sound streams could be bussed into existing PC-based digital
> mastering tools and then out to the SB for on-location D/A. Maybe that
> will happen one day ;-)

This is a ludicrous charge.  I challenge you to show an example of a more
open solution than the SB3.  In fact, your suggestion of sending the streams
to external processors then onto the squeezebox is already possible.  This
is how lame is used to compress audio for streaming to the SB, for instance.
Other folks have discussed putting FIR filters inline, and certainly your
suggestion could be implemented.  It's important to note, howerver, that
this would not fix the problem as reported by the original poster.