enduser Wrote:
> Many companies have systems where you can look up orders by invoice
> number.
By invoice number alone? Without additional private information? Then
those systems are insecure. That doesn't make the invoice number
priviledged information.

> Invoice numbers are not shipping numbers, not tracking numbers. They are
> not public numbers.
I have not worked in Europe in many years now, but in North America,
pro forma invoices are required to be on the outside shipping documents
of every package that crosses a border. Therefore they are available to
the casual handler. Now, the pro forma invoice is not a complete
invoice, it doesn't contain certain private information like phone
numbers, but it does most certainly contain the invoice number of the
corresponding full invoice. In fact, it is illegal not to do so.

Therefore invoice numbers are effectively public, and you are incorrect
to assume they are private or in any way priviledged.

Perhaps the EU treats this differently. But I work in manufacturing in
North America and I deal with this stuff every day. I know what
information we put on packages, and I know that, if the driver has
access to it, it isn't private.

Saying something is private when it demonstrably is not accomplishes
nothing.

--
Michaelwagner