Kyle Wrote:
> Is this a user-installed project, or do you need to go through a dealer?
> As a for-instance, approximately what would the controller and two 6"
> touchpanels run me?  Also, a link to the computer running Slimserver is
> all I need?

If all you're doing is controlling Squeezeboxes, then all you need is
Ethernet connectivity.  You may or may not need a wire for the
touchpanel; it depends on specific model, configuration, etc.  I do not
need wires, as my panel is 802.11b.

AMX intends this to be a dealer-installed item.  However, that said, I
installed mine myself.  You just need the know-how in how to do it.  As
a professional software engineer, figuring it all out wasn't a big deal
for me.  You would minimally need a dealer to buy the hardware from.
And it will take you some time to learn the programming environment.

Pricing varies dramatically, and is based on: Which 6" touchpanel would
you want, with what feature set (exactly which model you wanted, 1 way
or 2 way, "cheap" LCD or really nice LCD, etc).  Not to mention dealer
discounts (if you plan on doing this yourself, you should be able to
look around and hopefully get close to dealer cost since you don't
need/want their support).

My system started small (controlling A/V in a single room), and grew to
control the A/V throughout the house (even in bedrooms that only have a
TV - this was useful because you can watch the DVD player or DSS
receiver from anywhere in the house, so the source device isn't
necessarily local to the room).  Eventually, it grew to do lighting,
HVAC, Audiotron control, etc.  Squeezebox control was added much later,
when I bought some Squeezeboxes to replace my old Audiotrons.

If you just want something to control the Squeezebox (and nothing
else), you'd be better off getting relatively inexpensive WWW tablets,
and using SlimServer's touchscreen skin.  If, on the other hand, you
eventually wanted a full automation system to control everything (A/V,
whole house audio, whatever), there's really two "serious" contenders
in town: AMX and Crestron.  Niles is really just a specialty item
(primarily) solely for distributed audio; AMX & Crestron can do that
and a whole bunch more.

-- Jeff

--
Jeff