I (finally) received my Nokia 770 yesterday. Some first impressions of
the device, with special attention to it's use as a slimserver
controller.

First, general impressions:

- Not a perfect device, but still very cool. I've found that when you
use kid gloves, it works pretty well. If you try to open a bunch of
apps at once and do more than one thing at a time, it's pretty easy to
crash it.

- Screen is the best quality I've ever seen in a handheld device

- Tons of attention were given to ergonomic design and useful keys. My
favorite is the full-screen key, which removes the left-nav bar and
gives you more real estate instantly.

- RSS reader and Email app are being given much more negative press
than they deserve. I'm fairly pleased with both as V1.0 apps.

- Video and Audio both work pretty darn well, IMO. I viewed the
included trailer from Ice Age2 without difficulty, and it rendered very
smoothly. Unfortunately for the IceAge2 folks, this will not compel me
to see their movie. I'm curious to see how the video player will do
with an episode of Freaks & Geeks or Deadwood, but the included 64MB
RS-MMC card isn't gonna cut it for that. Will have to buy more storage
before I can test that...

- 802.11 support is really well done. I haven't had a single issue with
it, and it configured like a snap (note: haven't tried security stuff
yet, but from what I hear it works fine)

- installing open-source apps (see http://maemo.org) is a snap. GAIM,
xterm, bash, screenshooter, all have installed seamlessly and work
great. The open-source aspect of this device is what made me buy this
device immediately after it was release. The application catalog will
only be growing...

But enough about the general...that stuff is covered pretty well in
online reviews (I thought the ars-technica review was particularly well
researched and written:
http://arstechnica.com/reviews/hardware/nokia770.ars)

Slimserver-specific impressions:

- I tested 4 skins, Fishbone, ExBrowse3, Handheld, and Touch. I found
"Touch" to be the far-and-away easiest to use on the 770. I have
several screenshots that I'm going to upload to this thread.

- Fishbone and ExBrowse3, which are both mighty nice from a standard
PC, don't really work on the 770. ExBrowse3 would often crash the
browser (or in one case the whole device). Neither would actually play
anything I commanded it to.

- BONUS -- turns out that slimserver streams *very* nicely to this
device. Just point the included audio player to
http://your.slimserver.ip.address:9000/stream.mp3, browse the 770 to
your slimserver, and select your 770 as the player. Works great.

While I was fairly pleased with "Touch" as a skin for 770 use, there
are some clear improvements to be made. I'm considering a fork of Touch
to start optimizing a skin for the 770. I'd be really pleased if there
were others that wanted to help, offer advice, offer requests, etc. on
that effort.

screenshots coming forthwith...

#!/ben

--