I saw mashie's uDat come up a few posts ago and had to mention this.
Exactly a year ago now I built my pDat, a uDat clone.

Here is a work log: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=845672

It works exceptionally well however I have had some terrible heat
problems...3 drive failures.  It is always the drive on one side of the
enclosure and it is the result of the system being in an environment
over 75deg or so.  This excessive heat roasts the drive on the side and
kills it.

Being raid 5 I have not lost any data and having the drives all under
warrenty is a big plus.  I am currently designing a cooling chamber of
some sort to keep the ambient temp around 60 degrees or so.

--
PoW