Mitch Harding Wrote:
> On 12/18/05, samlw <samlw.2094dn (AT) no-mx (DOT)
> forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
> >

> > A WAY TO HAVE A SINGLE CENTRALIZED LIBRARY OF MY DIGITAL MUSIC IN A
> > SINGLE HIGH-QUALITY COMPRESSED (BOTH ON DISK AND OVER-THE-WIRE)
> FORMAT
> > (PREFERABLY LOSSSLESS, DEFINITELY NOT MP3), THAT LIVES ON A
> LOW-POWER
> > LINUX BOX, AND THAT CAN BE ACCESSED AND PLAYED BY BOTH ITUNES
> CLIENTS
> > AND SQUEEZEBOX CLIENTS WITHOUT NEED FOR INTERMEDIATE SERVER-SIDE
> > TRANSCODING.
> >
> > I really don't see what is so incredibly controversial or
> > "wrong-headed" about this request.
>

> The only part I find strange is that you are willing to accept a lossy
> format (such as AAC, the one you are currently using) but unwilling to
> accept MP3 (the de facto standard).
> I've read where you say that you prefer AAC over MP3 and that it is
> your
> belief that for a given bitrate, AAC offers beter audio quality than
> MP3.
> I've never done any side-by-side comparisons, so I don't know if this
> is
> true or not.  But even if we grant that it is, then just encode your
> mp3s at
> a higher bit rate than you'd ordinarily use with your AAC files.
> Wouldn't
> that solve your problem?  The extra disk space would not be
> significant.

Yes, well as I mentioned earlier, I am resigned to using MP3, which I
will encode at the highest bitrate available. At this bit rate, AAC
would still be preferable.

> I agree with Sean -- most people who are going to be keeping their
> music
> libraries in AAC will probably be using a Mac server, in which case
> this is
> not an issue.  Your case is not that common, using a non-Mac server to
> serve
> AAC -- and moreover using a server with such low horsepower that you
> don't
> consider transcoding an option.

True. But I only asked for AAC because I was looking for a better
alternative to MP3. If you go back to the start of the thread, you will
see that I was under the incorrect impression that Apple Lossless and
AAC were essentially the same codec. What I really wanted was Apple
Lossless, so the title of this thread is a bit unfortunate (my fault).
Still, if Apple Lossless is not possible, AAC would be my second
choice.

> It's my opinion that there are higher priority improvements that Slim
> Devices could implement.  This particular improvement would not be
> trivial
> to implement, according to SD, and it would benefit a very small
> minority of
> users.  Surely you can acknowledge the wisdom in focusing on
> improvements
> that will benefit the most users?

Absoultely. I'm not trying to dictate Slim's priorities and I never
said that this should be moved to the top of Slim's priority list. I'm
just a user with a request, and this forum seems like the place to make
it. That said, Squeezebox's main competing product (there I go pushing
that button again) does support AAC in firmware. I assume it does so
because there is market demand for such a feature. So, I wouldn't rush
to judgment that my situation is so terribly uncommon. As I said
before, I think that the Squeezebox is a great product - superior in
most respects to its competitors (which is why I chose it). I also
happen to think that in this one respect, it is not superior. And   so
in the interest of keeping Squeezebox at the head of the pack, I humbly
suggest that Slim look into adding Apple Lossles or at least AAC to the
Squeezebox's native format repertoire.

> All of this having been said, I think some people were unduly harsh in
> their replies to you.
Agreed. And I think we've all beat this horse just about to death. So,
'nuff said.

--
samlw