>Now I'm a bit lost. We may need someone who knows the slimserver code
>to shed some light on this.

It's not just me then!

>True, BAND does not describe the role properly.

I don't like the way it is displayed on the Squeezebox as "BAND/Orchestra:
...", which is also incorrect if the album artist is not a band or orchestra
(such as a single artist - eg. Bill Laswell).  Album Artist looks so much
cleaner.

>See here: http://www.id3.org/id3v2.4.0-frames.txt

Thanks.

>> Perhaps it would be a good idea to add a page to the wiki that lists all
>> of the tags that SlimServer interprets and how they are used.
>I agree! If you set up the page we then need some knowleadgeable people
>to fill in the information.

Okay, I'll set up a page today at some point.

I think it will be useful to have a table that maps SlimServer fields to file
tags (one-to-many - also need to cover all possible formats, ID3, OGG, etc),
with a description of what SlimServer does with each of the tags (maybe what
prefs options affect the way the tag is interpreted).  That will be a good
starting point - might need to indicate SlimServer version for some items
though.

>Have you tried tagging these with ARTIST="Fripp & Eno" and
>ALBUMARTIST="Robert Fripp;Brian Eno" ?

I haven't tried this - I have ARTISTSORT to match my ARTIST tag, so for
example, ARTIST="Robert Fripp;Brian Eno" and ARTISTSORT="Fripp, Robert;Eno,
Brian".  If I switch the meaning of ARTIST and ALBUMARTIST, I won't be able to
apply the correct artist sorting info.

>I might have time tonight to play around with some of my mp3. I happen
>to own one of the Another Late Night albums and I think I also have an
>album with two solo artists teaming up

Thanks.  I've spent a lot of time correcting tags in things that I ripped a
long time ago.  As I have a large library, it's taking a while so I
concentrated on the basics ;)  But now most of the tags are generally entered,
I'm going back over some of the more interesting albums, tidying them up even
better - compilation albums, adding sort tags, etc.

Phil