IMHO, the not-ready-for-the-masses part is wireless technology in
general. There are no standards, those that exist are routinely
violated by every manufacturer for a temporary microscopic marketing
advantage, and the guy down the street who got a new wireless rig, or
microwave, or cordless telephone for xmas is probably the reason your
squeezebox dropped off the network.

I DJed for a dance workshop last fall, and we use wireless microphones
for the teachers. Teachers love them, I hate them. They let the teacher
move around but rivet the DJ in his chair, waiting for the guy with the
1000 watt CB radio in his car to drive by, overwhelm the base unit
pre-amp and blow out the ears of the dancers. Well, all went well in
the afternoon but during evening setup there was crosstalk on the
wireless. We replaced all the cords from the base to the mixer,
replaced all the batteries everywhere, couldn't find the problem. Long
story short, it turns out there was nothing wrong with our setup. The
hall below us had been rented out to a wedding, and the DJ there was
using the same model wireless microphone set to the same channel. He
didn't actually need the wireless mic, he was just using it to announce
the next song, and a corded mic worked fine for him. He just liked the
wiress bit. We asked him nicely and he agreed to use his corded mic for
the night. Problem solved. He probably sounded better, too.

Why don't people like wires more? They're just so much more reliable

Michaelwagner