On 30-Dec-05, at 8:42 PM, treble wrote:

As I understand how MusicMagic works with the Squeezebox is that there
is a little icon or something behind the songtitle when it is
'mixable'.

That is basically correct. When browsing music via the web interface OR the player interface, you will see an extra icon. Press-and-hold play to get into the mixer functions. you can use the settings to allow you to alter the mix parameters in the player UI every time, or set them globally from the web interface. The end result is a mixed playlist that you can play all songs or just one.

My question is if it is easy to get a random song out of my whole
collection to create a MusicMagic Mix.  I read somewhere that there is
an option for 'Random Mix' for the Sqeezebox.  Does this work
'instantly' or do you have to wait 10s of seconds for it to show?

the 'random' mix is an answer to those who used to use shuffle mode and load their entire collection to listen at random. This was very slow, as it needed to load and shuffle thousands of songs. Random loads just 10 and starts playing very quickly. It is, however, strictly random. The only parameters for random is a genre selection list.

Getting a mix based on one of these random tracks takes a bit longer, since the current playlist doesn't have an interface for directly creating a mix. In the web, you can click on the album link for the given song, then click the mixer icon for that song when the album listing shows. The player UI allows you to press NOW PLAYING then RIGHT to show the song info, press DOWN until you see the album title, then RIGHT to get to the album list where it set the currently playing song as the displayed song. Press and hold PLAY at this point will create a mix based on that song.

If you want to try this out before you get a squeezebox, just download slimserver and install it. There is a software player called SoftSqueeze included with the server that behaves much the same as the hardware will (the hardware reacts faster and plays better, due to some recent bugs in the application but you can get a really goo idea of the operation.)

-kdf