smurfk1 Wrote:

> 7. Obtain IP address automatically (DHCP)
> 8. obtaining IP adress....
> 9. 192.168.1.100

Okay, so it got an IP...

> 10. select music source - 192.168.1.100

Ah, there's the problem... assuming you typed the numbers right: you
want the IP of your PC there.  The router gave .100 to the Squeezebox
-- if it's the same IP as your PC the router is broken and shouldn't do
that.

> 11. connecting to slimserver....
> 12. can't connect to slimserver

Right, because if the numbers are correct above, it's trying to connect
to itself for music, which won't work.

> this happens over and over and will only work when I turn off all
> security in step 4.

Does it get a different IP then?  And find the PC then on a different
IP?

I can't think of any reason why changing encryption on/off would affect
this, other than that the router DHCP imnplementation may.. suck.  (Ie,
it -should- ping an IP before it gives one out just to be sure that it
didn't lose any clients when rebooting, and on many routers, a
mini-reboot is done when you change some settings like encryption.)

--
snarlydwarf