Craig, James (IT) Wrote:

> The one thing I don't understand clearly yet is that if I wish to:
> A) retain the ability to play xbox games (not interested in xbox
> live),
> B) run Linux (including replacing the hard drive)
>
> - the only option is to get a mod chip fitted?
>
> The xbox-linux site seems keen to steer you away from that choice, but
> it seems the only one that allows for changing the hard drive?

> James, the answer is _yes_ --- IF you wish to continue playing games
(less Xbox Live) AND have Linux AND have a large drive, then you can
ONLY use a Modchip.

However, IF you are VERY brave and have a version 1.0 or 1.1 Xbox, you
can solder in a switch on the TSOP (i.e. BIOS chip) and since it has 1
MB of flashable space that is addressable, flash the second two
quadrants (i.e. last two 256 kB of flash) with Cromwell BIOS (the
Linuxy kind) and leave the Xbox BIOS in the first two quads.

That said, since modchips are [relatively] cheap, go that route, MUCH
safer and much easier. The soldering requires the dexterity of a brain
surgeon, the eyes of an eagle, really good temperature controlled
soldering tools and the cojones of a bonobo chimp to pull off
successfully.

Since this is a bit off-topic, and I use a dedicated Xbox as a
low-power x86 server, which includes my MP3 collection and some server
tools, perhaps I can personal message you and we can continue on the
Xbox-linux forums, where this should probably be.

Squiff

--
squiffy