Oh boy - what a nightmare.

I added two programs to the exceptions since I wasn't sure exactly
which SlimServer program to add.  I added the C:\Program
Files\SlimServer\SlimTray file and the C:\Program
Files\SlimServer\server\slim file.  The system went wildly unstable
after that, and backing out by deleting those two exceptions didn't
help.  Multiple attempts to do a system restore to an earlier point
failed, but finally found a restore point which worked.

I then installed SlimServer again, but got the same behavior in that
the server wouldn't start.  Does something have to be enabled in XP to
allow a web server application to be created?

After multiple attempts I have gotten SqueezeNetwork to connect and
play.

I'm beginning to feel that the serverless approach of folks like Sonos
has considerable merit.

--
Larry