In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, DSw wrote:
> How about a single tickbox to choose whether you want inclusive or
> exclusive behaviour?

dBpowerAMP Audio player (dAP - www.dbpoweramp.com) handles this in a
really nice way IMO. A tick box has three states - '-', '+' and space.
'-' means  don't include any track that has this genre, '+' means do
include any track that has this genre and space means I don't care.

These can be applied to artists and genres making a really powerful
selection mechanism. Unfortunately, in it's current release, it will
only handle a single genre in the tag although the database will hold
many genres (only the first gets written to the tag). Selection
configurations can then be saved and reloaded so, for example, I added
a dAP db tag of zBL to any tag that contains bad language and created a
selection criteria that excludes it. Whenever we had adults who might
be offended by it or children in the house I'd loaded the 'no bad
language' selection criteria. I did similar things for Exercising and
parties.

Unfortunately there's no way I know of to feed dAP output into
SoftSqueeze or Squeezeboxes so it doesn't help much but it might give
programmers ideas.

I'm staggered there's nothing around to take the output destined for
the audio card and turn it into some sort of input that can be used for
other programs on the PC (such as Slim). I had a play with Shoutcast
but didn't get anywhere although that may have just been me of course!
I confess I like the flexibility and usability of dAP so much that if
there was any way to feed its output into the Slim system I wouldn't
use any other way of playing my music.

Kevin