On 16 Jan 2006, at 06:06 , EnochLight wrote:

pfarrell Wrote:

Decompressing it does not recover the lost signal.
Its gone forever.

I am aware of that; I'm not saying that files like that are lossless to
begin with.  However, ripping them to CD doesn't degrade their sound
quality from the original lossy file any further, as ripping them back
to a wav wouldn't either.  All a file is on an audio cd is a wav file,
with a bit of encryption.  When you rip songs purchased through iTunes
to a CD, it rips them to a wav.  I was proposing keeping them as such
to get rid of the DRM stuff attached to them.

One other point to consider....
Burning to CD and then ripping a file from iTunes will remove the DRM, and you won't suffer an additional quality loss if you use a lossless format. But remember, you will have the quality of a 128 kbps (or whatever) lossy file with the file size of a non-lossy file. May not be a big deal in this era of cheap drives, and if you only have a few tracks in this situation, but it will add up if you have a lot of tracks from the ITMS.