stinkingpig Wrote:
> kewe65 wrote:
>
> > I'm curious about this latter path.  Could you describe this in lay
> > terms?  I could use the squeezebox to receive the stream based on
> > capturing whatever is passed to the soundcard?
> >
> > I already actually have the computer wired to take the output from
> the
> > card to go back into the PC via a 2nd sound card - a Lynx Studio pro
> > model.
> >
> > This allows me to record anything the PC plays without any extra
> > software...
> >
> So you're already most of the way there. You next need to convert that
>
> line-in into an http stream. Shoutcast and Icecast are two methods for
>
> doing this. This methodology is a huge pain to set up, maintain, and
> use
> though. It will probably never work reliably. You're really a lot
> better
> off just burning to CD and ripping back to MP3 (a one-time hassle).

Can't Slimserver just be configured to stream to the Squeezebox
whatever is being delivered to the soundcard?

All I'm really interested in is playback of these files.  I intend on
using the laptop and remote desktop to control the playlists and song
selection.

What does Slimserver need in order to work with Icecast?

--
kewe65