Thanks to everyone for giving their views on this matter. I wasn't
looking for a solution; just making an observation.

For what it's worth, I control the SB2 purely through the standard
remote. (Despite the fact there are 6 PCs in the house, none of them
are - or ever will be - in the lounge). The CDs are archived in the
attic (and SWMBO quickly installed extra furniture in the space that
was freed up!), so Max Spicer's solution isn't available to me.

I don't have the facilities to browse by album artwork, but even if I
did it simply isn't the same as scanning CD spines in a semi-random
fashion: you need to be able to flit about instantly.

My gut feeling is that losing the old way of browsing a music
collection is one minor downside I will have to learn to live with. I'm
not unhappy about that - the pros far outweigh the cons.

--
cliveb