kewe65 Wrote:
> Really irrelevant to me.  I have no intention of removing iTunes.  You
> make the point from the premise that i have to have iTunes.  Well, of
> course.  I have no issues with it.  It is, in fact, one of the best
> music library managers out there.  Bested only by J.River's Music
> Center.

You're the one who brought up that the SB can't play iTunes DRM'd
songs....  If that's not important, then why bring it up as something
that it lacks, and will continue to lack unless Apple changes licensing
on FairPlay?

> For every attempt to control the users PC, there will be just as many
> things created to circumvent it.  Do you honestly believe that somehow
> Microsoft and Apple have found the impenetrable silver bullet?

As long as there is instability in the DRM market with several
incompatible schemes, you will still have at least CD's (unless more
rootkits come out..).  Unless you have source code to Windows, you're
going to have to use the "analog loophole" to get sound.  Again, this
inserts a whole bunch of quality loss by having a pointless D/A
conversion -- something that should be avoided.

Remember: the DMCA makes it a criminal offense to circumvent DRM.

> True.  The hardware is only the receiver of the stream and distributor
> to the stereo.  Im mostly interested in the quality of it's audio
> components in terms of what it does receive.

Then you should be concerned about the whole audio chain: you will need
to have a digital input to your PC from your changer, and you will need
to encode the bitstream to FLAC or WAV, or you will have a quality
loss.  Likewise, all your sound output from the PC that you wish to
capture and redirect will have to completely avoid the analog side of
things.  Ie, another digital out/input or capturing the sound at the
driver level.

> I think i made my point.  $300 is still more economical, plus better
> quality.

Your money: but I still think you're adding layers of obfuscation  to
things and sacrificing the quality.  Every D/A conversion sacrifices
sound quality.  I don't think it's better quality at all.  You want to
keep those D/A conversions at the minimum.

> Licenses?  Irrelevant.  If I have access to what the player is sending
> to the output of the soundcard, then its already assumed that the
> validity exists else i wouldn't be able to play the material.

You're assuming your system is scalable.  It's not.  (Ie, try 2 or more
players.. do the Windows Media and iTunes decoders allow more than one
instance at a time?  You will need to run an instance of each for each
audio device.  This may very well mean multiple servers...)

Again, your business doing it this way, but it is far from ideal and
you will most likely be disappointed in the resulting sound quality,
flexibility and performance.

Or you can ignore me, not my problem.  I give up trying to help you get
the best quality sound and features.  You obviously know what you want
and have chosen The Way To Get It, and refuse to actually accept advice
from others.

Have fun.

--
snarlydwarf