results, please visit http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=17185
Question: Who wants a Squeezebox Boombox?

- I'm interested.
- No, thanks.

Just to add my voice to the forum: I would definitely buy a squeezebox
with integrated amp and speakers. I have a SB3 connected to my stereo,
but, as many have said in this forum, I don't want to have to get
speakers + amp + power supplies for every room.

I'll use EnochLight's post as a start for mine (sorry about that 8-).

EnochLight Wrote:

> [...] runs on batteries (optionally).

I haven't made my mind about that completely... But given that the main
goal of the boombox would be portability, well, yes, I'd vote on that
too. By the way, how about rechargeable batteries? Like a laptop, kind
of. I haven't seen that in any other similar product (say, the Roku
radio).

One keeps it in the kitchen most of the time, or at least "docks" it
there (every night or some such thing), but takes it out to the garden
occasionally. No need to worry about batteries running out all the
time, stocking extras of the right type, etc.

I wonder what's the feasibility (power consumption) of powering a
squeezebox on batteries.

EnochLight Wrote:

> No CAT5 port needed; just make it 802.11 G and all will be good

Agreed.

For a device that would be producing sound in my kitchen, I'd also
leave out the high quality sound outputs. Of course it has to sound
decent, but that's about it.

EnochLight Wrote:

> It could be more expensive, but not by much.  Since many users might
> jump ship to such a device if it possesses the same features as the
> standard SB3, there'd have to be a happy medium.

Frankly, I wouldn't want it to be more expensive. And that might be
possible without the sound outputs. And I wouldn't either want a
boombox with the same features as the SB3. I don't think I'd ever put a
significantly larger device on top of or beside my stereo... and then
proceed to use the stereo's speakers instead of the built-in ones. For
that we already have the SB3.

Bernardo

--
BRB