Michaelwagner Wrote:
> My later decks can do 2 ranges, (I think) ±8 and ±16%, switchable.

Sure, plenty of decks (particularly Vestax) can do wider ranges, but
since 90% of clubs use 1210s, that's what DJs expect to have - hence
"industry standard".

> My decks do it well. And it's all embedded software in a not very
> impressive processor. So it must be possible to do well with the right
> algorithms (and hardware).

I guess it depends on what you're listening for. I've played on
$4000-a-piece CD turntables and even there you get very noticable
distortion with any reasonable amount of correction. For example, slow
a track down a chunk and you get phasing on transients like snares, and
kick drums lose all their definition. I can guarantee people like
Ableton are using "the right algorithms" but even with ample processing
power it's not always clean.

That's why when I play I use regular old-fashioned pitch adjustment -
people don't notice that the track is half an octave down nearly as
much as they notice distortion and echos.

--
radish