You got my vote... :-)

I guess I should try a small subset of my music collection with maybe 1
or 2 multi-disc albums and 1 or 2 "various artists" albums. Now it takes
too long to go change everything (even if Mp3tag is good) and then
rescan the whole database.

Last time I tried to use the multi-disc album, I set the title to the
same thing for each disk, numbered all my tracks starting at 1 for each
disk and then I used tags "disc" of "discc" to identify the order of the
discs. This did not work, I got all of them mixed up with multiple
tracks #1, #1, #1, #2, #2, etc...

For the various artists albums, I tried setting the artist field to
each individual artist (my albums are organised by folder with names of
'%artist% - %album%' I don't remember what it did but it did not work
correctly. So I moved the individual artist to the performer field and
hard-coded the artist field to "Various Artists".

What I would like to do is to avoid having thousands of artists with
albums of 1 song. I would like to have a way to search the "album
artist" field and the "song artist (performer)" field. I've been
following the classical music thread on tagging and it looks real
interesting. My needs are modest though, I'd just like to be able to
define in slimserver which fields to search on (such as album, artist,
performer, conductor, year, genre, language, etc...)

And about the genre issue, there's got to be a better way to use
this... I use separate genres with a ';' in between but I end up with
hundreds of genres to the point that it becomes unuseable. I've been
searching the allmusic.com site and they use genre and style and a few
other descriptors (such as mood IIRC) which would help alot in
organising interesting playlists. Also, I've got too many albums listed
as "rock", "pop" or "jazz" which seems to be way too general to use and
hope that the music I select by genre only goes well together... Ah the
dilemma of having too much music to listen to... ;-)

Daniel

--
dborn