beatdownvictim Wrote:

> I tried doing a search, but i can't even begin to think what to search.
> Can someone help a noob out?
> Thanks all!

I'm going to assume you're not an 'audiophile' because of where you
posted this, but depending on what kind of amp you're using you may
want to 'attenuate' the signal outside the Squeezebox for other
reasons.

If your amp is that 'loud', you may be vulnerable to a burst of noise
coming out of the Squeezebox in one form or another, and potentially
damaging your speakers.

Limiting the maximum volume with the volume knob of a receiver or
integrated amp, or using a passive attenuator on a power amp, will keep
the digital attenuation applied by the Squeezebox to a minimum. Not only
does this reduce the risk of a noise burst, it may have sonic benefits
as well by keeping total digital attenuation above the -35db gain point
[see link for clarification].

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=20719

--
Skunk