Thank goodness someone else said it.  That's
exactly what I was thinking when I tried it...

"What does it do that I can't do already?"

They're describing it as a "revolution".  File
playback, playlist creation?  WinAmp, May 1997.
Graphic web browser?  NCSA Mosaic, April 1993.
And organizing music by artist-album-title can be
done by dozens of programs - try MPEG Audio
Collection, http://mac.sourceforge.net for one.
Obviously SlimServer itself does this too.

It's not surprising that it misses FLAC files in
this preview version.  I'm sure these and other
formats will be supported eventually.

It looks really slick already and I like the fact
that it's open-source and built on Firefox.

But for now it's looking like it fills a need that
doesn't really exist.

I'll keep my eye on it, but until it does
something nothing else can I don't really have a
need for it.

My file playback needs are met by foobar2000, I
have no need to organize my music collection
(Mp3tag handles any filename/tagging issues) and I
already have a web browser.

Christian Pernegger wrote:
> Did anyone get what Songbird is good for?
>
> The interface is 100% ripped off from iTunes.
There's nothing wrong
> with FOSS apps loosely modelled on commercial ones,
but iTunes in
> black is a bit much. Their graphics designer is
good, but a bit of
> originality would have been fine.
>
> I pointed it to my archive of flacs and got
something like no music found.

> The items on the left just open regular web sites in
an integrated
> firefox. The squeezebox one just links to the SD
homepage when I
> thought it would allow me to control the sb. About
the only thing a
> bit integrated is Amazon, and that can't do anything
I can't do via
> the web site. (Search across multiple Amazons,
filter third-party
> offers, sort by availibility, ...)
>
> I realize it's a proff-of-concept, but what's the
concept?

--

  Mark Lanctot