I've just done a test with SoftSqueeze running on a different PC. So far
it looks like over a wired connection it behaves like Softsqueeze did
when I ran it on the server PC whereas over a wireless connection it
behaves like the Squeezebox. Which is another wierd result.

So it looks like:

1) FLAC files (or any other file transcoded to FLAC) don't play out
properly on the Squeezebox but do on Softsqueeze

2) WMA VBR transcoded to WAV don't play out properly on the Squeezebox
or on Softsqueeze

3) Buffering isn't working correctly on the Squeezebox (wired or
wireless) or on a remote copy of Softsqueeze (wireless) but is working
on a remote copy of Softsqueeze (wired). However, the behaviour varies
depending on both the initial file format and the stream format (e.g.
WMA VBR or WAV transcoded to FLAC does get buffered correctly in all
cases).

The fact that a PC running Softsqueeze over a wireless connection
behaves EXACTLY like my Squeezebox suggests to me its not a defective
unit.

--
shawkie