An audiophile friend of mine in Seattle persuaded me to move from a
200-CD player to a laptop (.99GB RAM, 2 GHz
processor)-with-external-hard-drive-wireless-Squeezebox setup.  He
further twisted my mind by having me rip the songs using Exact Audio
Copy with a .flac extension using Lame (for compression?).  He was
right--the system is fantastic--with one exception:  for no reason that
I or the Squeezebox folks can determine, the music stops playing in the
middle of songs and does not restart unless I press "play" again.
Sometimes it goes for a couple of hours without this happening; but
much more often it happens after only a few minutes.  It doesn't appear
to be the wireless connection (connection strength always 97% to 100%
percent), or computer going to sleep (it happens when the computer is
clearly on and working), or too much activity on the computer (happens
with virtually no activity).  The only clues I have (and this posting
probably shows I have very little clue about anything) are: (1) the
debugging source report shows "decoder underrun while in this mode"
with a response "play" just before this happens; other times when the
report shows "decoder underrun while in this mode" the response is
"playout-play" and it does not stop (when it stops, the squeezebox
display and laptop still show the system running in play mode) and (2)
sometimes (when not in play mode) the Squeezebox display shows "cannot
connect to server".  Thanks for any help any of you might provide.

--
jdg