Hibernate or Stand-by can be activated on a schedule using AutoHotKey
from www.autohotkey.com.  This free open source scripting utility lets
you control many system level operations very easily.  I created a
simple script as shown below.  I then created a windows schedule task
to execute this script at 11:00 every night.  So far I haven't figured
out a free way to ensure that no one is using the SB prior to
hibernation, but since everyone is normally asleep by this time, this
script/task in combination with WOL is a pretty good compromise.

; Call the Windows API function "SetSuspendState" to have the system
suspend or hibernate.
; Windows 95/NT4: Since this function does not exist, the following
call would have no effect.
; Parameter #1: Pass 1 instead of 0 to hibernate rather than suspend.
; Parameter #2: Pass 1 instead of 0 to request permission from each
application prior to suspending.
; Parameter #3: Pass 1 instead of 0 to disable all wake events.

DllCall("PowrProf\SetSuspendState", "int", 1, "int", 0, "int", 0)

--
Gildahl